You have probably seen the familiar Energy Star logo on many products – from computers to refrigerators – but did you know it’s also used on HVAC system components?
Energy Star was created by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Energy to help protect the environment by encouraging the manufacture and sales of energy-efficient appliances and products. The results are impressive. In the year 2010 alone, Americans reduced emissions of greenhouse gasses equivalent to 33 million cars and saved nearly $18 billion in energy costs.
How Does A Product Earn The Energy Star Label?
Heating and cooling products (heat pumps, boilers, air conditioning systems, furnaces, etc.) are eligible for the Energy Star label when they meet the energy-efficiency requirements established by Energy Star product specifications. The EPA uses the following criteria to determine a product’s eligibility:
- The product must be produced in sufficient quantities to contribute significant energy savings nationwide.
- In addition to increased energy efficiency, the product must have the features and performance consumers expect from it.
- In the event that a potential Energy Star product costs more than a non-Energy Star product of similar characteristics (which is less energy efficient), the additional cost must be recovered by the consumer in the form of energy savings in a reasonable amount of time.
- The product must achieve energy efficiency with non-proprietary technology available from other manufacturers.
- The energy consumption and performance of the product must be verified by testing.
- The product must be labeled in such a way to differentiate it from non-Energy Star products. The label must be easily visible to consumers.
Heating and cooling products bearing the Energy Star label are tested and proven to save energy and money. Don’t buy HVAC equipment without the label; it’s your guarantee that you’ll save money on energy bills and help conserve energy at the same time.
For more information about Energy Star, contact the professionals at Hansberger Refrigeration & Electric. We’re a family business that’s been serving the Yuma area since 1952.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about Energy Star and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.