Given the cost and complexity of HVAC systems, the contractor you choose makes an impact on your comfort, the system’s performance and its durability. Your choice may also affect your ongoing energy bills and intermittent costs for maintenance and repairs. Fortunately, the HVAC industry is well regulated in Arizona, which provides a better foundation for making a sound selection.
- Look for a current license from the State of Arizona, along with liability insurance and a bond. It’s crucial that you work with companies that have current licenses and carry financial protections for their customers.
- Consider factory-authorized dealers. HVAC equipment manufacturers often single out the most qualified and competent contractors for authorized dealer or preferred dealer status. This type of endorsement benefits their clients because the designation gives contractors access to more detailed information about the systems, which helps with its installation and servicing.
- Choose contractors with NATE-certification. The North American Technician Excellence certification assures you that the technicians with whom you work will be the most qualified in the HVAC field. The NATE organization administers rigorous tests and requires extensive education to attain and maintain certification.
- Make sure you check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). A good standing with this objective and impartial organization indicates the contractor responds to customer issues and follows good business practices.
- Determine that the contractor has Energy Star status. HVAC contractors who have Energy Star endorsement follow the U.S. Department of Energy’s guidelines for the most efficient installation techniques, which helps the equipment perform at the efficiency level the manufacturer intended.
- Ask each of the contractors you consider if they complete a load calculation of your home using Manual J software before recommending the size for a new installation. Avoid contractors who go by the size of your current system because it could be too large or small for your home. Improper sizing leads to excess energy consumption and premature breakdowns.
To learn more about choosing a contractor, contact Hansberger Refrigeration and Electric Company, a NATE-certified HVAC provider for Yuma-area homeowners since 1952.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Yuma, Arizona about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about choosing an HVAC contractor and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 928-723-3183.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “iQoncept/Shutterstock”