Cooler temperatures for the next few months make this an ideal time to take steps to lower energy bills. These tips will save you money year-round, and are much easier to do when temperatures are mild.
- Look for cracks around the windows and exterior door frames. Leakage around window frames can be substantial and caulk will easily seal them. If you can see daylight around a door frame, apply fresh weatherstripping. Block gaps at the door’s base by using a draft stopper or door sweep.
- Head to the attic to check the insulation. The U.S. Department of Energy recommends that you have at least 9 inches in the attic to slow heat transfer year-round.
- Have your HVAC system serviced. A professional HVAC technician will go through your furnace or heat pump to make sure it’s running as efficiently as possible. He will clean, adjust and oil all the parts and verify that the equipment is running safely.
The inspection may turn up a component that’s failing and could result in an unexpected breakdown if it’s not replaced.
- Change the air filter routinely. Check it every few months and replace it when it’s covered with dust. A dirty filter drives up heating costs by slowing the airflow through your system, increasing the time the system has to run.
- Clean the register covers to promote full airflow in each room to lower energy bills. While you remove them for cleaning, look for excessive amounts of dust around the covers or inside the ducts that could indicate ductwork leaks.
If you suspect ductwork problems, have a professional inspect and seal them for immediate energy savings and better air quality.
- Turn the water heater down to 120 degrees F. Lower water temperatures also slow the formation of hard water deposits inside the tank, increasing its lifetime.
- Replace any remaining incandescent light bulbs with CFLs or LEDs, including your holiday lights.
HVAC servicing, air sealing and increasing insulation will lower energy bills and improve your indoor comfort. To learn more, contact Hansberger Refrigeration and Electric Company, providing trusted HVAC services for Yuma homeowners.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Yuma, Arizona about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about lowering energy bills and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 928-723-3183.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “pexels/Pixabay”