The air filter in your Yuma home’s HVAC system serves the valuable purpose of trapping airborne particles that could otherwise infiltrate the system and collect on and damage sensitive components. If the filter isn’t changed regularly, it will gradually become clogged with debris and slowly stifle essential airflow through the system.
Why and When Filter Changes are Needed
Proper airflow is vital for your HVAC system to function. When airflow starts to decline due to a clogged filter, it can wreak havoc on the system in various ways:
- Restricted airflow forces the equipment to work harder to compensate, which increases its energy consumption and your monthly operating costs.
- The extra strain and wear from a drop in airflow also increases the risk of break downs and shortens the lifespan of the system components.
- Running the system with a dirty filter allows irritants and allergens to keep circulating throughout your home, which can negatively affect your indoor air quality and worsen allergies and respiratory conditions like asthma.
You can avoid these issues by checking the filter once a month and replacing it when there are any visible signs of debris accumulation.
Easy Ways to Remember Filter Replacements
Checking and changing your HVAC air filter isn’t difficult or time consuming, but life is busy, so it’s easy to forget this critically-important chore. Here are some different ways to remember:
- Send a text to your smartphone. There are a variety of apps available that let you select a date to send yourself a monthly text message alert about filter changes.
- Upgrade to a smart thermostat. Today’s sophisticated thermostats not only automate your indoor climate and streamline your household energy consumption, but most also monitor the system’s functionality and send you reminders about needed maintenance like filter changes.
- Use your utility bill payment as a reminder. Make a point of checking your HVAC filter on the day you pay your monthly utility bills. Before you know it, making monthly checks will become a habit.
To schedule important HVAC maintenance, like changing the air filter, contact us at Hansberger Refrigeration and Electric Company.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Yuma, Arizona about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 928-723-3183.