Air conditioning has been of untold benefit to mankind, not only in terms of comfort, but also to health. Here are just a few of the beneficial air conditioning effects on health:
- Helps maintain a healthful temperature for those with certain illnesses, including heart disease and immune disorders.
- Makes the home less inviting to parasites and insects.
- Reduces the likelihood of mold, fungus and mildew, which adversely affects breathing and aggravates respiratory diseases.
- Reduces the risk of dehydration, particularly among the elderly.
- Provides a level of comfort where physical and mental activity are increased. Also promotes better performance in the workplace.
Furthermore, if the A/C is well maintained, it can improve indoor air quality. A clean air filter in particular is key to reducing airborne pollutants such as pollen, pet dander, volatile organic compounds and others. The air filter should be changed regularly, according to the manufacturer’s recommendations — more often, if there are high humidity, shedding pets, pollen-bearing plants and excessively dusty conditions in the home.
How the A/C Adversely Affects Health
Air conditioning has also gotten some bad publicity regarding negative health effects, particularly concerning the outbreaks of Legionnaire’s disease, which has occurred aboard ships and in hotels.
Some other ill effects of A/C are:
- Drying out the skin and nasal passages, leading to irritations, chronic rhinitis and coughing. Dry sinus passages can make it easier to get infections.
- If not well maintained, air conditioning can contribute to sick building syndrome, with bacteria and mold spreading through the home’s supply air. This may be of particular concern when the A/C does not dehumidify the air properly. Dirty evaporator coils may also contribute to high humidity.
- Changing abruptly from the heat outdoors to a cold room can promote the transmission of virus germs that lead to colds. When entering a cold room, the blood vessels in the respiratory passages constrict, limiting the supply of white blood cells, which help us fight off viruses.
Want to learn more about air conditioning effects on health? Call Hansberger Refrigeration and Electric Company. We serve Yuma and the surrounding area.