If you or someone in your household is among the more than 50 million Americans who suffer allergy symptoms, then you well know allergy season is here in Yuma again. So, with the onset of itchy eyes and runny noses, perhaps one of the best ways to handle allergens in your own home is prevention. Read on for tips on how to get rid of allergens in your home.
How to Get Rid of Allergens in Your Home
One of the most effective tips for how to get rid of allergens in your home is to properly clean your home and minimize the number of times you say, “Gesundheit!”
- Floors. Rather than sweeping floors with a traditional broom, use a microfiber dry mop.
- Carpets and upholstery. Clean carpets and upholstery using a vacuum with a small-particle or HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter.
- Bedding. Wash bedding weekly during allergy season.
- Shoes. Leave shoes by the entry door so you don’t track allergens through the home.
- Clothing. Place clothing worn outdoors in a plastic bag until you wash the clothes.
Choosing an HVAC Air Filter
When it comes to your HVAC system and getting rid of allergens in your home, use a medium-efficiency air filter with a MERV rating of between 8 and 13. Air filters in this range remove an enormous amount of airborne contaminants, including allergens like pollen, dust mites, pet dander, skin particles, and more. In addition to helping remove allergens from indoor air, a good air filter will help your AC run more efficiently and keep allergens from collecting on AC parts.
Another effective means for getting rid of allergens in your home is to use a portable air cleaner. Portable air cleaners often incorporate several filter types to clean the air in a room. These include an activated carbon filter to neutralize odors and a HEPA filter for maximum allergen removal.
If you have questions about how to get rid of allergens in your home, please contact Hansberger Refrigeration and Electric Company.