We’re headed for another hot Arizona summer. Once again, you’ll be blasting your AC to beat the heat, and your energy bill will skyrocket. What can you do to save money without sacrificing comfort? Here are some energy saving tips for summer.
- Use ceiling fans. A ceiling fan can supplement your AC, allowing you to turn up the thermostat a few degrees while still staying cool. The windchill factor makes the air blowing against your skin feel cooler than it actually is, saving you energy while keeping you comfortable. Just remember to turn the fan off when you leave the room.
- Seal your home. Find any cracks or holes around your home where warm air can leak in? You need to seal them up. The better you’re able to keep warm air out, the more efficiently your AC will run. Also seal your ductwork, repairing any holes or tears where cold air can leak out before reaching your home.
- Invest in dual-pane windows. Particularly for windows that get direct sunlight, double panes help insulate your home from the sun’s heat, making for one of the most valuable energy saving tips for summer. They’re a bit more expensive than single-pane windows, but they’re worth the investment in the long run. Also remember to close your blinds and pull your shades during the day to filter out excess sunlight and keep your home cooler.
- Get a smart thermostat. A smart thermostat is not only controllable from anywhere via your mobile device, it can also adapt automatically to your family’s schedules and temperature preferences. When you’re not home, it signals the AC to go into energy-saving mode and remain there until you return.
- Get a more efficient system. If your AC is more than a few years old, it might be time to get a new system that can provide the same comfort for less energy. While this might not be a cheap options, it is one of the best energy saving tips for summer. Look for the blue Energy Star logo, indicating that that model can save both money and energy without sacrificing performance or features.
To get more energy saving tips for summer, contact us at Hansberger Refrigeration and Electric Company. We save Yuma homes energy while keeping them comfortable.