The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 30% of adults in the United States suffer fall allergies. The percentage of children suffering fall allergies is higher (40%). To make matters worse, fall allergies originate from both outside and inside the home. It makes you wonder what an allergy sufferer must do to find relief.
To better understand the answers and solutions to the preceding question, it’s helpful to know what causes fall allergies in the first place. Then, you may implement a plan to remove allergens, improve IAQ, and alleviate fall allergies.
What Causes Fall Allergies?
To have an allergy means that your body’s reaction to coming into contact with the substance you’re allergic to is abnormal and damaging to the body itself. As to the question of what are the causes of fall allergies, there are as many causes of fall allergies as there are allergens in the air you breathe, the water you drink, the surfaces you touch, and the ground you stand on.
HVAC, Good Housekeeping, and Alleviating What Causes Fall Allergies
To reduce the number of allergens and allergy attacks in your home, start with the following list:
- Prevent allergen infiltration by air sealing your home’s envelope at entry doors, windows, attached garages, vents, and hatches.
- Clean the floors, carpets, upholstery, draperies, bedding, and the surfaces in your home on a regular schedule.
- Isolate allergens and many volatile organic compounds (VOCs) found in household cleaners, paints, solvents, and other volatile substances by keeping them properly labeled and sealed tightly.
- A whole-home air purifier attached to your HVAC system cleans the air throughout your home’s living spaces. Air purifiers may utilize HEPA filtration, bipolar ionization, UV lights, and/or activated carbon filters.
- A whole-home humidifier raises indoor humidity to optimal levels of 45% to 55%. Maintaining optimal indoor humidity (as opposed to very dry indoor air) helps your body’s immune system fend off harmful allergens.
Now that you have a better idea of what causes fall allergies, contact us online at Hansberger Refrigeration and Electric Company to learn how we can help you alleviate allergens.